Thursday, May 30, 2013



Seventeen years ago when I left my home in Chicago to set out west, I did it with a big sense of adventure and the few possessions that I could fit into my car not knowing where I was headed.  It brought me to Portland then to Seattle and finally Los Angeles.  It’s been an adventure that has allowed me to grow my career, find my identity, form friendships that will last me a lifetime and most importantly find my family.
The journey that my family has decided to undertake to Central America has been hotly debated and analyzed on many different levels.  The bottom line is we want to find adventure that is lacking in everyday life and we’re fortunate enough to have the means to do it.   It involves taking risks that most are unwilling to accept, but will come with rewards you can’t get out of a paycheck.  I’m lucky enough to have found my best friend in my wife who is down for the struggle and willing to leave for a year to surf Mexican point breaks, learn a new language and creatively redefine who we are.  My kids will also be able to have an experience that will be far more valuable in life than kindergarten could ever teach them in the next year.
For me personally, this next year is dedicated to my father James W. Craig who spent a large portion of his life working towards a retirement he was never able to enjoy due to Parkinson’s disease. This has changed my perspective on life in ways I could never define.  This next year is really a celebration of my family, but it’s also for you dad.  I hope you’re out there watching and enjoying this as much as we are…..
Adios for now,
The Craigs

3 comments:

  1. I am getting goosebumps writing this...
    Enjoy it Craig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy and keep safe which means be smart. You are loved by too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Scott...enjoy traveling with your 'tribe'...

    ReplyDelete